You should visit the care home to see if you like it. Try to drop in without making an appointment to see what the care home is really like.
Age UK have a checklist you can use when you visit care homes to help you decide if they would be suitable. See finding a care home on Age UK.
You can search for care homes online and see what other people thought about them:
- Your care rating – see results from the 2014 survey of customers in England, Wales and Scotland.
- Carehome.co.uk offers an online search of care homes and reviews in the UK (including Northern Ireland).
- Find care homes with nursing on NHS Choices includes some user ratings (England only).
- Find care homes without nursing on NHS Choices includes some user ratings (England only).
- Bettercaring – offers a search of all residential and nursing homes in the England, Wales and Scotland